Monday, February 5, 2007

And then I found $5... in the middle of Poland

I find it only fitting that my first real entry of my time in Prague is in fact about my weekend trip to Poland. I and my fellow landscape students went to Krakow, and we had a great time. We went to a bar called "Middle Earth," if for nothing else but to say, "I went to middle earth last weekend." It was decorated like a hobbit hole, and the only downside was that I walked out of there smelling like a cigarette factory on fire. Not pleasant.
Julie and I took a tour of the salt mines of Krakow, which were pretty amazing. They were huge man-made caverns constructed just from removing huge blocks of rock salt from the earth.
Julie and I also decided that any sentence got better just from adding "in the middle of Poland." For example, I'm riding a bus... in the middle of Poland. I'm lost... in the middle of Poland. "In the middle of the Czech Republic" just doesn't roll off the tongue as easily.

While staying at Mama's Hostel (which I highly recommend, if you ever decide to visit Krakow) we met a couple of European students while eating breakfast who provided us with good conversation. Allow me to share some quotes from the weekend:

(after drinking questionable water from the Polish sink)
Will: I can't die. The guy at border patrol is expecting to see me tomorrow and I don't want to disappoint him.

(on transportation)
Stajn: You should take a plane. They're better.
Me: So says the aerospace engineer.
Stajn: Well, I have to look out for myself.

(on a.m. vs. p.m.)
Feich: I can remember the difference between a.m. and p.m. because p.m. is the one that I am awake for.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I'm standing on a curb waitng for a bus with lots of loud obnoxious australians, in the middle of poland. I'm eating a ham sandwich in the middle of poland. I am completely disoriented in the middle of poland. I am 200 meters underground in the middle of poland.